It is great that we are on level 1 and can enjoy the Easter Holiday. I’m hoping to get some repotting done and to tidy up the orchids for winter. It is also good to read that clubs are getting out and about again. The Hibiscus Coast Orchid Society had an enjoyable bus trip last Saturday visiting Ninox Orchids in the morning followed by a garden visit in Onerahi.
Farewell North Otago Orchid Club
OCNZ was sad to receive notification in March that the North Otago Orchid Club is winding up. This is due to losing their meeting venue and being unable to find another suitable meeting place. The club’s membership has also been dwindling. OCNZ wishes the remaining club members all the best.
We would like to remind members who have been affected by recent club closures that they can still stay in touch by becoming Associate Members of the OCNZ. For an annual fee of $20 an Associate will receive the Yearbook and Newsletters. Payments to be made to the OCNZ Secretary. Please pass this information on to anyone who may be interested.
The OCNZ has the following publications available for purchase:
- Pests and Sprays Handbook – easy to read; contains recipes for organic sprays. This was very popular in 2018 with around 100 copies sold.
- Orchid Cultural Handbook – great to have on hand at shows for members of the public who have purchased plants and want to know how to grow them.
Handbooks are $20 for 10 copies (minimum order), plus postage and packaging. Please contact the OCNZ Secretary if you would like to purchase any of these.
- OCNZ Executive Committee Nomination Forms: Societies if you haven’t already done so please get your OCNZ nomination forms in. Nominations close on May 10.
- Remits: These are required by April 30.
- Delegates: Please don’t forget to notify the OCNZ Secretary who your delegates will be at the AGM.
- National Judges Seminar and AGM Weekend: Early bird registration runs until May 1. For non-judges, and in particular members from the Auckland area, please do consider registering for the Saturday night dinner. This is a great opportunity to socialise with other orchid growers and to meet up with some of your Facebook friends. For more info contact Anton Wehman.