I’ve noticed a nip in the air over the last few mornings and Easter marks the end of daylight saving so it is time we start thinking about giving our plants some comfort over winter. My plants will soon come back under cover from their summer house and I’ll get my clothes line back. For those of you who don’t know my set up, I convert my clothes line into a shade house over summer to keep my plants cool. Where do I hang the washing you ask? I have five clothes horses.
South Canterbury Orchid Society
Last week OCNZ was saddened to hear that the South Canterbury Orchid Society was in the process of disbanding. They cited the usual problems of not being able to attract new (and younger) people, an ageing membership and an exhausted executive committee. The OCNZ Executive wishes the last remaining society members all the best and hope that they will retain their interest in orchid culture.
The OCNZ has the following publications available for purchase:
- Pests and Sprays Handbook – easy to read; contains recipes for organic sprays
- Orchid Cultural Handbook – great to have on hand at shows for members of the public
- Orchid Yearbook back copies – we have a range of Yearbooks from the last 10 years.
Handbooks are $20 for 10 copies (minimum order) + P&P; Yearbooks are $10 per copy, + P&P. Please contact the OCNZ Secretary if you would like to purchase any of these.
A friendly reminder to all award photographers:
- Please iron your backdrops
- Use a blue, grey or black backdrop choosing a colour that complements the flowers
- Use a tripod
- Take a “front on” image
- No cropping! It is important that you leave plenty of room around the flower. We need this area to work with when formatting award photos for the Yearbook.