10th National Orchid Expo: Orchids & More
The 10th National Orchid Expo will take place at the Mystery Creek Events Centre near Hamilton from September 29-October 1 (Friday-Sunday). Set-up day for displays and vendors will be Wednesday, September 27, and judging will take place on Thursday, September 28 with an official opening and prize-giving on Thursday evening. OCNZ would like to thank the Orchids & More organising committee for their efforts in making this event happen after an uncertain few years.
Find the 10th National Orchid Expo Show Schedule here. Clicking on the Orchids & More logo will take you to the event website.
The Orchid Council of New Zealand is a federation of independent, autonomous, orchid societies throughout New Zealand. It is a registered incorporated society, and it is also a registered charity. The principal objectives of OCNZ include:
- Promoting and encouraging the study, cultivation and conservation of orchids
- Giving information and education about orchid culture
- Advancing the development of orchid growing as a recreational activity for young and old
- Maintaining procedures and standards for judging and awarding superior forms of orchid species and hybrids and superior culture of orchid plants
- Promoting national and international orchid conferences and exhibitions
- Promoting the conservation of New Zealand native orchids
- Acting as a Heritage Protection Authority in respect of the Iwitahi native orchid reserve.
Certain OCNZ annual reports are available under the NEWS tab above.
For newcomers, a general outline of growing orchids in New Zealand may be found here. It is highly recommended that newcomers join an orchid society or club for support and guidance, as well as for access to a wide range of plants. A list of societies affiliated to OCNZ may be found here. More detailed information about growing orchids may be found under the Cultural Notes tab above.
Incorporated Societies Act Review: What you need to know
If your orchid society is an incorporated society you are probably already aware that the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 has been under review. The new legislation will require Incorporated Societies to review and revise their constitution and to re-register. Societies do not need to do anything just yet, but there are things you could do now so you are better prepared when it is time to re-register. The NZ Companies Office has a helpful Constitution Builder tool to help you get started.
Supporters of Orchids 2023 (Yearbook)
Please click on the logo or link to visit the relevant websites.