SPECIAL NOTICE IN RELATION TO COVID-19: NZ has moved to a ‘traffic light’ system Please stay informed and observe the requirements as outlined on the official website. Please see the News & Events page and contact societies directly for any enquiries. We will note cancellations as notified to us.
The Orchid Council of New Zealand is a federation of independent, autonomous, orchid societies throughout New Zealand. It is a registered incorporated society, and it is also a registered charity. The principal objectives of OCNZ include:
- Promoting and encouraging the study, cultivation and conservation of orchids
- Giving information and education about orchid culture
- Advancing the development of orchid growing as a recreational activity for young and old
- Maintaining procedures and standards for judging and awarding superior forms of orchid species and hybrids and superior culture of orchid plants
- Promoting national and international orchid conferences and exhibitions
- Promoting the conservation of New Zealand native orchids
- Acting as a Heritage Protection Authority in respect of the Iwitahi native orchid reserve.
Certain OCNZ annual reports are available under the NEWS tab above.
For newcomers, a general outline of growing orchids in New Zealand may be found here. It is highly recommended that newcomers join an orchid society or club for support and guidance, as well as for access to a wide range of plants. A list of societies affiliated to OCNZ may be found here. More detailed information about growing orchids may be found under the Cultural Notes tab above.
OCNZ acknowledges with thanks the 2022 grant from Pub Charity to support the printing of the Yearbook Orchids 2022. This grant would not have been possible without venues throughout the country partnering with Pub Charity to operate the gaming machines that generate funds for such grants.